Thursday, 19 July 2012

My Backyard

I'm sitting in my backyard, with a glass of grape juice. My belly is full of barbecued pork.

Tonight was my best barbecue yet. I stacked the pyramid of brickettes, doused them with starter fluid, waited a minute as per the package, them lit them. I set a timer n my iPad, so that I wouldn't be tempted to start grilling too early. I grabbed potato salad from the fridge and ate that. Then I started watering my plants.

I'm surrounded by growth. The catnip is blooming with little pink flowers. The white nancy has white flowers. The cherry tomato plant has three wee green tomatoes. Two of the green pepper plants are budding.

All on its own, the biggest morning glory plant is twining around a trellis. It's actually a little freaky that it just knows to reach out and hold on.

The timer went off. I arranged the charcoal more evenly and went inside for pork. I came out and placed it on the grill. Then I continued watering my plants.

I turned around. Charlie was standing behind me, chewing on grass. Oh, that cat. I didn't fully shut the screen door behind me, it turns out. I exclaimed, he stopped chewing and ran back into the house, I closed the door.

Then I grabbed clippers and cut handfuls of grass. I brought them inside, where Charlie and Chloe immediately descended upon the blades. I suppose I rewarded Charlie for being naughty. Well, Charlie is a cat. He did what cats do. He ran inside when caught, instead of making me chase him all over the yard. Cats need grass for digestion. He got grass. I came back out, carefully closing the door all the way.

It's nice and cool here. Not swelteringly hot, not freezing. I have wooden wind chimes clicking in the breeze. I bought them in New Brunswick, before I ever had an occasion to use them, because I was on a feng shui kick and they are feng shui chimes. I kept them for at least 11 years before I had a place to hang them outside.

The first piece of pork turned out well. A little burnt on one side, but still very edible. The charcoal was still hot, so I went inside and grabbed the other piece of pork from the package. I grilled that while I ate the first piece. Now I have leftovers for tomorrow.

Charlie must be done with the grass. He's sitting at the screen door, meowing at me.

This backyard of mine ... this is my own little bit of bliss.


Post a Comment