Friday 15 August 2014

Mormons and Google

The Mormons are interfering with my job search. Type "Calgary Employment Resource Centre" into Google, and the first hit is http://ldsjobs.org, which is not the government resource I was looking for.

I thought I could circumnavigate them while using Google Maps to navigate to the closest government Calgary employment resource centre near me today ... nope. I ended up outside an LDS church.

I'd say it was quite deliberate on their part - they list themselves as "Calgary Alberta Canada Employment Resource Centre" on Google without mentioning the religious affiliation. Those darn Mormons!

... I don't think I've blogged about it publicly but yes, I'm job hunting. I was laid off in June when my company laid off 400 people. And yes, I'm grouchy about being misdirected to the wrong place. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I tried "Calgary Government Employment Resource Centre" and the first hit was
    http://humanservices.alberta.ca/services-near-you/2957.html

    And, yes, it's deliberate on their part - it's called "Search Engine Optimization", gaming the system, trying to get their site listed on top of searches, even unrelated ones.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know it's SEO, and it's annoying. After I posted, I went to Google Maps, offered an alternate title for the centre and gave it a review of 1 star, and my local Google results have changed to drop the LDS location far down.

      Delete