Wednesday 1 January 2014

A look back at 2013 and a preview of 2014.

A year ago, one of my friends shared that she was choosing a word of the year for 2013, rather than make resolutions. I found that very inspiring and decided to do the same. I was even inspired to use the same word as she:

I nurtured myself in many ways in 2013:

  • Improved my communication skills
  • Reduced my anxiety
  • Went searching for women friends my own age in Calgary and found them.
  • Spent more time with family.
  • Found a labyrinth and returned to it many times.
  • Got hugged by Carrie Freakin' Fisher.
  • Got certified in level one reiki.
  • Sang "Hey Jude" with the whole audience to Sir Paul McCartney as he led us, onstage.
  • Cut back on investing time in a fandom that is being destroyed by the show's writers.
  • Upon the discovery of precancerous cells in my uterus, had laparascopic surgery to remove non-essential lady parts.
  • Rediscovered the joy of knitting.
  • Lost a friend that needed losing.
  • Recommitted myself to my career.
  • The Mermaid Garden of 2013 was a smashing success.
  • Got more involved with volunteer work.

I was very fortunate that my home wasn't affected by the Calgary flood of 2013.

Another exercise for 2013 was a Joy Jar. Each night, I wrote down something that gave me joy in 2013 and put it in a jar. Sometimes I wrote "knitting!" Or "gardening!". Other times it was something like, "Didn't freeze my ass off today!" Calgary has a few deep freezes every year. :-)

I filled up the jar. :-) The final piece of paper says, "Spent New Year's Eve with new friends!"

I've already decided on the word for 2014 ... CREATE.


0 comments:

Post a Comment