Monday 24 June 2013

As the waters recede

First, Calgary's mayor is more awesome than yours. Sleep is for wusses when your city is being flooded.

Second, Calgary is also awesome. Of the roughly 100,00 people displaced, only about 2,500 ended up in evacuation shelters. The rest found shelter with family, friends, perfect strangers offering shelter online. Now volunteer organizations are forming to clean up.

Third, the generosity and "come hell or high water" attitude that Calgarians have made me realize how much I love this city.

Fourth, our office building will be open tomorrow, but our director said to check email and prepare to return to work Tuesday. We've all been given VPN access and I tested mine, so if need be, I could work from home.

Fifth, it may need be that I have to work from home, because trains aren't going into downtown yet, and I very much doubt that I could find a parking space. :-)

Sixth, today, with the waters receding, I decided to go check out the nearest flood zone. This is Mallard Point at Fish Creek Park.

(And please note that I used a telephoto lens and stayed away from the water's edge. Today was not the day to be a mermaid).

The park is definitely still flooded, but you can see how far the water rose and has receded.
Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

The sound of the water was loud as it rushed by. I kept a safe distance.
Fish Creek Park

The road and parking lot were closed to the public.
Fish Creek Park

Mud where the water had been. It was thick and sticky.
Fish Creek Park

A utility pole in the water.
Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

No need to worry about ice - this whole section was flooded.
Fish Creek Park

Lots of people came out to look. Many people didn't think to bring bug spray and regretted it. (I sprayed myself with Off before arriving).
Fish Creek Park

I've been in this area of the park once. It was shady and very lovely. :-(
Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

The footbridge is still intact, but the bank and the pathways leading up to it have been washed away.
Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

The other side doesn't look so bad.
Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

Meanwhile, ants were being ants.
Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

I really wish I had taken photos of this area before. But I didn't know ...
Fish Creek Park

One lonely picnic table remains.
Fish Creek Park

An artsy moment.
Fish Creek Park

The water in this area didn't make it as far as the houses, but it came close. The houses in this neighbourhood were evacuated and the residents have been allowed to return.
Fish Creek Park

The flattened grass on the other side of the road shows how close it came.
Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

Pollen gathered quickly in the wet grass.
Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

The walking path and bike path.
Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

It was encouraging to see deer on the other side of the river, enjoying a summer day.
Fish Creek Park

Deer in Fish Creek Park

Fish Creek Park

The city of Calgary on duty!
Fish Creek Park

0 comments:

Post a Comment