Saturday 14 December 2013

Advent Meme - Music

My friend Shanna suggested, "How about on December 13, you write about the role that music has played in your life? :-)?

And I forgot yesterday. Sorry!

So. Music. I love music, actually. I'm one of those people who can be captivated by a song and listen to it over and over. Here is a screencap of my Top 25 Most Played in iTunes:

 photo itunes_zps0bafd621.jpg

A few notes:

  • It's not just that "More Than A Feeling" is a classic rock song. It's got that killer glory note in it. And in my Walter-Mitty daydreams, I can nail that note to great applause. When in real life, I'm tone deaf and karaoke is not for me.
  • My love for ABBA is no secret. During the dark and rough years of living in Moscow, ABBA was something that made me happy. And still does.
  • Most of these songs are on my "Magic Beans" playlist. I turn to this playlist when I need a pick me up or just want to rock out.
  • Some of these songs have very specific meanings. I find "May It Be" to be a good song when I'm in a meditative or contemplative mood. I interpret it to be a song about letting go and having faith that you are on the journey you were meant to take.
  • During a rough bit of turbulence on a flight, "Orinoco Flow" popped up on my iPod, and I was able to visualize a ship breaking through the waves, much like the plane was breaking through air streams, and it calmed me.
  • This version of "Raggle Taggle Gypsy" has a great drum battle in it. I was thrilled to hear it in person when I saw Celtic Thunder in concert.

Sometimes I associate certain memories with the music playing at the time. I can not listen to "Caribbean Queen" because it was playing on the radio when I had an automobile accident. When my university boyfriend was coming over because we "had to talk", I turned off my music because I didn't want to associate Corey Hart with being dumped. And yes, he broke up with me.

Despite being tone deaf, I was in two musicals in university. In the chorus, because I can manage to sing in tune when singing with others. I was in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat" and "Godspell". "Godspell" wasn't written with a chorus, but there were a lot of people who wanted to be in the show so artistic license was used. Both experiences were fantastic.

I listen to music on public transit when I want to drown out the people around me having TMI conversations.

My favourite era for music is the 1980's, when I was a teenager. My two favourite radio stations both feature '80s music.

Concerts I have attended:

  • Kris Kistofferson
  • Gowan/Supertramp
  • Gowan
  • Corey Hart
  • Platinum Blonde
  • Doug and the Slugs
  • Celtic Thunder
  • Star Wars in Concert
  • Straight No Chaser
  • Paul McCartney

So that is a brief look into how music has influenced me. I could write posts on my different iTunes playlists alone. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment